Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Carver Assignment

1.  I'm not sympathetic to the main character at all.  He's someone who stereotypes and is ignorant to anything that is not the norm, so to speak.  My opinion of him does change a little from the beginning to the end of the story, since he started to put aside his pre-conceived notions about blind people.

2.  I think the wife is someone who needs to have a reality check.  It seems obvious that she is in love with Robert, and wishes that she was the one he married of the two that worked for him.  The info about her ex-husband goes to show that she was always jealous, and that the narrator does have a reason to be worried or jealous as well.

3.  The only metaphor I can think of for blindness is prejudice.  It's apparent throughout the story as the writer overcomes his personal issues with blind people, as well as with the comment about Robert's dead wife being a negro.  I have no opinion, good or bad, about this.  The outcome was very predictable as the story went on.

4.  I liked Carver's writing style.  I enjoyed the short, simple, and to the point way it read without all of the extra details included.  It was very easy to read and flowed really well, in my opinion.  I probably won't use this in my own writing because it doesn't really suit my personality very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment